Some Photographs of Indian Aurochs (Bos namadicus) Fossils

This post should be comparatively brief. It's where I'll collect photographs of good Bos namadicus fossils that I find while surfing the internet. I first posted some of these photos to Carnivora, which helped them get more exposure online. If you have any additional photos you would like me to post here, please reach out to me so I can add them. The Indian Aurochs is still a poorly known taxon, and it can be especially enigmatic for amateur researchers who don't have access to the bones in museum collections, so the more photos of good fossils we have, the better.


Another photo of this skull.

A skull in the collection of the Indian Museum (photo by Dr. Advait M. Jukar, from Twitter)


I don't know if this is the same skull


A third skull with a long bone in the back

And another view of the same specimen


* I found a few more photos of this specimen.



Another skull (yes, the Indian Aurochs is known primarily form skulls, plus other fragmentary material). This particular specimen is described in Lydekker's Crania of Ruminants from the Indian Tertiaries, a work which I would recommend to anyone interested in the comparative osteology of namadicus.


Three views of a Cranial fragment

 A word to the owners of these photographs- unfortunately, I've lost the attribution data for many these photos; if you see you photo here and you would like me to remove it, or to credit you, please contact me by email or leave a comment. Thanks!

edit* I have updated this post to include some more photos of some of the skulls. I found the new photos on Facebook. They have apparently all been removed from Facebook, or at least I can't find them anymore, which is why I haven't been able to identify the owners and add attribution.

See Also:
Are there any Representations of the Indian Aurochs in Rock Art Or: Was Bos Namadicus Humped? Part 1




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Complete Skeletons of the Aurochs (Bos primigenius)

The Aurochs in China